Saturday, January 8, 2011

Financial Goals: 2010 Update

As I look back on our 2010 Goals I'm amazed by how much things change in a year. The goals we followed we smashed. The rest, well... they just seem so insignificant to me now. I see the value in the accountability, but the reality of the time involved in tracking stuff in the blog format, creating a price book, etc just doesn't fit with living life with a young family.

Here are the updates on the 2010 goals that we did focus on:

Goal: Set specific dollar amount to save for car replacement, home improvements, and other major savings categories and track it in side bar. -- We set the amounts early in the year, but didn't track them in the sidebar.Goal: Save 50% of car replacement fund by the end of 2010.- Actually saved 100% of the amount we targeted AND bought a new to us car. Paid cash for the whole thing.
Goal: Save 75% of deck replacement fund by the end of 2010 (other 25% in 2011). - Actually saved 100% and built a new deck in pergola. Paid cash for the whole thing.
Goal: Budget money each month for clothes for the kids, so there are fewer surprises and less temptations. - I got a lot better at separating my categories in 2010. My spreadsheet is a lot longer, but I have separate categories for clothes, gifts, entertainment, blow, etc now that I didn't have in 2009


We also did pretty well at the resolution to have more fun in 2010. Tim actually got to golf more, we took a couple weekend trips as a family, joined the Children's Museum, Center for History, and Potawatomi Zoo, I spent some money on my new obsession - Thirty-One, etc. Overall, it's been a great year.

How did you do in 2010? Did you set goals and stick to them?

1 comment:

Marc Brown said...

Sub : Guest Post Proposal for ...it's the journey on the way!

Hi,

This is Marc Brown, a Financial Content & News Writer. I'm looking for some relevant site where I can publish my articles.

I've already written for a number of websites & blogs. I would be highly obliged if you allow me to do a relevant informative guest post in your site.

Please let me know what you think. I'll be eagerly waiting for your permission.

With regards,
Marc Brown

Email : marcbrown2050@gmail.com
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/marcbrown2050
Twitter : marcbrown2050
Skype : marcbrown2050
Phone : 9167458172

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails